Girls Life Adventure (GLA) In partnership with Girls Write Now, viBe launched GLA in Fall 2006. GLA is an arts based/ life skills program for teenage girls in New York City.
Through a series of writing, performance and publication workshops the girls use creative approaches to discover practical solutions for the challenges they face. Each Quest embraces a specific topic. A team of peer leaders, teaching artists and experts from the community serve as Quest Guides. Each Quest includes a workshop and an accompanying Travel Guidebook that has been created by the peer leaders. The workshops are fun, informative, interactive afternoons of arts-based activities inspired by the theme of the Quest. The workshop includes a tour or experience generated by a New York City location that specifically relates to the Quest theme.
- GLA’s first Quest, with the theme, SEX, featured a Museum of Sex tour, sex & sexuality education as well as a birth control/ STD prevention workshop.
- GLA’s BEAUTY Quest featured a media literacy & analysis workshop with Women in Media & News, a body image/ eating disorder workshop and a critical analysis tour of the Times Square billboards and advertising.
- The SPIRITUALITY Quest brought the girls to the Eldridge Street Synagogue with leaders from various religious and spiritual organizations to explore the role of faith and ritual in their lives.
- The JUSTICE Quest explored how teenagers can advocate…
- Health, nutrition and local agriculture were addressed in the FOOD Quest.
- Personal finance, saving money, retirement planning, funding college and creating budgets were the topics in the MONEY Quest