viBe Theater Experience (viBe) provides girls (ages 13-19) and young women (ages 18-24) in New York City with free, high quality artistic, leadership and academic opportunities. viBe works to empower underserved teenage girls to write and perform original theater, video and music about the real-life issues they face daily. Our programs offer participants the opportunity to write, produce and perform their own plays, poetry, and music. viBe's performing arts and training programs provide the platform for participants to amplify their voices and "speak truth to power" by creating an artistic response to the world around them. Since 2003, more than 70 viBe productions have brought free theater, live musical performances, videos and radio plays to diverse audience members, changing their perceptions about the kind of art that young women can create, and what can be achieved through collaborative, process-based methods.
Our organizational and program objectives include the following qualitative outcomes and opportunities for individual girls. We encourage viBe girls to:
- Express their voices, uncensored, first in a small, nurturing setting and then before a public audience
- Develop literacy and communication skills through writing and revising plays, lyrics, and poetry
- Problem-solve through role-playing
- Build trust, responsibility and leadership skills by working in a collaborative environment
- Cultivate respect in a multicultural setting
- Learn life skills including promptness, completing assignments and honoring commitments
- Learn the power of the written and spoken word and the importance of crafting a message to communicate their ideas. Gaining these fundamental interpersonal and academic skills leads to quantifiable outcomes.